Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chicago. Food. Coma.

I was on the road this past weekend visiting family and friends in Chicago (thus the lack of posts here). Chi-town is definitely my favorite city in the US behind my current hometown of NYC. One of the best things about Chicago is definitely the food... I'm surprised that everyone there doesn't weigh 300lbs.

Even though I've been there a bunch of times in the past, this time I was able to visit a lot of new restaurants...and here are my favorites that you need to hit on your next visit (or if you live there).

KUMA'S CORNER - Heavy Metal Hamburgers. It's been featured on all sorts of food shows, and for a good reason. It was definitely one of the best burgers I've ever had in my life (I had the Neurosis with cheddar, swiss, mushrooms, onions and horseradish mayo). Plus, they only play metal music where the "softest" thing I heard was Pantera, awesome.


HOT DOUG'S - Featured on shows such as No Reservations, I waited almost 2 hours in line for a Chicago-style dog, as well as a Bacon-Cheddar-Elk Sausage. Food was great, but I'd try to head there when it is not 1pm on a summer Friday.


MARISCOS EL VENENO - Translation: The Poisonous Seafood. But the food in this hole-in-the-wall Mexican place in the heart of Ukrainian Village was nothing but spectacular. Each dish could feed 2-3 people, include the half-pineapple stuffed with 5 different types of fish.


ELEVEN CITY DINER - A "NYC Style" Deli in the South Loop. Amazing ambiance from the high ceilings and old rabbi portraits, to the great deli food. They even sell copies of Heeb Magazine and old-school bottles of Faygo (yes, Faygo)


SMOKE DADDY BBQ - A nice simple menu with 3 types of ribs and 3 types of pulled meat. Located in Bucktown, it had great prices and outdoor seating for the 2 months a year it is nice outside in Chicago.


On the drinking side of things, there is one place that I make sure to hit every time I visit...

DELILAH'S - One of the best Rock N Roll bars in the country. They host everything from Metal nights to The Smiths/Morrissey night (that was taking place when I went on a Friday night). Besides the great music, they have one of the best bourbon & scotch lists I've seen...and a great beer selection as well.


Kuma's Corner - 2900 W Belmont Ave
Hot Doug's - 3324 N California Ave
Mariscos El Veneno - 1024 N Ashland Ave
Eleven City Diner - 1112 S. Wabash
Smoke Daddy BBQ - 1804 W. Division St
Delilah's - 2771 N Lincoln Ave

No comments: